Parkersville Meeting House

Events

The meeting is opened annually on the second First Day of Ninth Month (The second Sunday of  September) for a gathering of Friends, neighbors, and descendants of former members. All interested parties are invited to participate.

The meeting house is also opened as needed for weddings, burials and special events. Should you wish to request the use of the property for such an event, phone Mary Sproat, trustee, (610) 444-3667 (home).

 

History

The first Quaker meeting in William Penn’s new colony was established in Chester, in 1681, followed by one in Philadelphia in 1682.  The original Kennett meeting, located on US 1 in what is now Hamorton, was established in 1707, with the original building constructed in 1710, and replaced in 1731. This Kennett Monthly Meeting became a busy place of worship for hundreds of Chester County Quakers.  A minister of the meeting was John Parker, Sr. (1748-1829), who lived a couple of miles away in Parkersville, so-named when his son, John, Jr., became its first postmaster in 1828.

Location

It is located on Parkersville Road, 2/10 mile south of Street Road (Pa Rte 926), in Pennsbury Township, Chester County. For those coming from US 1,  Parkersville Road meets Route 1 about 1 ½ miles north of Longwood Gardens (Pa. Rte 52), and it is about 6 miles south of Rte. 202. From Route 1, the meeting house is located about 1-½ miles on the right side.

Compare